Sunday, November 04, 2007

Justice in the burbs

Just finished Will & Lisa Samson's book, "Justice in the Burbs: being the hands of Jesus wherever you live." It's the most enjoyable book I've read in quite a while; not just thought provoking, but quite pleasant to read: it interweaves a fictional plot with a consistently generous, conversational tone. It even ends with a benediction to the reader -- as though the authors were laying a hand on my head and praying for me. (It sounds odd but they pull it off somehow.) By Ch. 2, I'd been gently drawn into the book's story and argument, and didn't want to put it down. Time and again I felt like it had me pegged -- the Mon.-Fri. paper pusher, Sat. lawn cultivator, Sun. pew warmer; who robs Peter to pay Paul and wonders at night, "is that all there is?" -- until I realized how many others 'round here would squirm just as much. Especially memorable was a chapter on mountaintop removal mining, which showed how going with the flow of American convenience and comfort underwrites grievous insults to God's creation and surprising degrees of greed and human misery. Other chapters discussed less dramatic, but also important concerns, such as alienation and loneliness -- also part of what "living justly" is concerned with. I'll be recommending this book to many; it's a persuasive explanation of how anyone can (and why Christians need to) be involved in tangible efforts to "love your neighbor"... both "over there" in places of obvious injustice or poverty, and "right here" with our literal neighbors, and through the everyday choices we make. Several stars.

My only quibble: in guest author Tony Jones' short "meditation" after Ch. 3, he refers to the Holy Spirit as "she" -- seemingly for no other purpose than to get a rise out of more traditional thinkers than himself. As a result (people being what they are) I have to think twice about whom to recommend this to. I wonder what Tony's like at parties.
[UPDATE Nov. 6: I misread Tony's intent. See his clarification in the comments.]

4 comments:

tony said...

Nope, John, that's not why. I refer to the HS as a "she" because the Hebrew and Greek words for Holy Spirit (ruach and pneuma) are neuter and feminine. In other words, I think there's a theological reason for referring to the third person of the Trinity with feminine pronouns.

Not trying to get a rise our of anyone. Just trying to be true to scripture.

John E. said...

Thanks for the clarification Tony! Sorry for jumping to conclusions about your intent.

James Diggs said...

Thanks for the book review. I work fulltime in DC at a homeless shelter for families and also Pastor a small church in the suburbs of Maryland and I have been trying to find ways to connect my more suburban community to issues of justice. Thanks,

Peace,

James

John E. said...

Thanks James. Quite a work you're doing. I'll keep an eye on it through your blog(s).