Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Low frequency effects

I've been enjoying my new subwoofer -- a bit of reckless Christmas generosity from the Suvias (my wife and her mother). Funny, it says right in the manual, "most people turn up the gain much too far." Understandable; I can see why subwoofers and condo apartments are an ugly mix. Fortunately our nearest neighbors are 150ft. away through trees. (If they come knocking...)

Of course the thing really shines on movies like Terminator or Finding Nemo. Besides beefing up the obvious concussive sounds (e.g., Darla tapping on the fishtank), it just makes everything a lot more immersive. But I was surprised at how much it also "anchored" solo acoustic guitar music. Also surprising: my best subwoofer demo so far (amidst stiff competition from Miles Davis' "Blue in Green") is a piece by Carrie Newcomer ("Another Thunder"). [Edit: oops, how could I have omitted Arvo Pärt's "The Beatitudes"?]

No comments: